This is a great Green Chicken Chili recipe that takes comfort food and combines it into a high protein meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound low fat ground chicken
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup salsa Verde
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Sour cream, cilantro, chopped scallions for serving
- Heat 1-tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven cooking pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it browns. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to the Dutch oven and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and jalapeño. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, cooked ground chicken, salsa Verde, salt and pepper and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Stir in the beans and half-and-half and continue to simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced and the chili is thick, about 30 minutes.
Serve with cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro and scallions.
Looking for more quick healthy meals? See 5-Minute Fit Meals
By Siera Capesius, B.Sc. Human Nutrition, Dietetics – www.sierafit.com