Meatball Recipe with a Zucchini Twist
Are you tired of making the same old unhealthy meatball recipe or meatball sandwich recipe, or fried zucchini recipe? Don’t worry – we have a fresh alternative healthy meatball recipe for you. This is a fun recipe you can use every week to help your family get both their protein and veggies in one dish!
- 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- 1 lb. Lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut the zucchinis in half and scoop out insides into a large bowl.
- Place in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until mostly tender. Remove from oven and turn broiler to high.
- Make meatballs: In a large bowl, mix together beef, parsley, egg, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Form into small meatballs.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, heat add in 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add meatballs in a single layer and sear on all sides until a nice crispy crust develops, about 2 minutes per side.
- Pour marinara around the meatballs and stir until the meatballs are fully sauced. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Fill zucchini boats with meatballs and top with mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melty, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan and parsley and serve hot.
By Siera Capesius, B.Sc. Human Nutrition, Dietetic